2nd Grade Curriculum Summary
- Daily 5
- Author Studies and Core Literature
- Grammar Skills: antonyms, synonyms, homophones, prefixes/suffixes, parts of speech…
- Writer’s Workshop: prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, conferencing, publishing
- Learning to write to a “genre” (letter writing, poetry, narrative, opinion, expository, report writing…)
- Making oral presentations
- Number Talks: Mental problem solving using strategies.
- FactsWise: Goal is to know all math facts, addition and subtraction, with speed and accuracy.
- Problem Solving: Solve different word problem types and use strategies, tools, and justification in finding the answers.
- Concepts: patterning, sorting and classifying, geometry, graphing, place value, estimation, measuring, statistics and probability, and beginning multiplication and division
- Physical Science: Balance & Motion
- Earth Science: Rocks & Minerals
- Life Science: Life Cycles
- Scientific Method: Question, hypothesis, observations, analyze data, conclusion
- Differentiating things from long ago and today
- Map Skills
- Basic economic concepts, exchange of goods/services, consumers/producers in the marketplace
- Biographies of influential people and the importance of individual action and character